25 Old Dock Road
P.O. Box 94
West Falmouth, MA 02574

History of HHTC

Since 1947

Harbor Head Tennis Club was the brainchild of a small group of West Falmouth summer residents. All members of Bowerman's Beach and aware of a growing interest in tennis, for themselves perhaps, but mostly for their children.  

The group had its first meeting in Wellesley Hills in March of 1947, and promptly organized HTTC, Inc. - a non-profit corporation. Shortly thereafter they raised $5000 from West Falmouth friends and neighbors, negotiated a lease with Mr. Bowerman (10 years at $1.00 a year), hired a contractor and built a hard (very hard) court on land adjacent to the beach parking lot - all of this in a relatively few months and ready for play in the summer of 1947!  From this modest beginning the rich traditions, anecdotes and folklore of West Falmouth tennis continue to grow.

By 1962 Harbor Head had hired its first instructor and the adults were forced to look around for a place to play as lessons took preference.  In 1963 HHTC made a deal with the West Falmouth Inn whereby, in return for reconditioning its clay court, HHTC members had the privilege of playing there.  This relieved some of the pressure. By the late 60’s, however, demand was far exceeding supply, particularly during the busy and increasingly popular tournament season.  More court space was needed! This is when Nashawena Associates entered the picture.

Red Travis, an ardent tennis fan and longtime active member of HHTC, had been quietly researching possibilities for expanding our facilities.  In 1969 his efforts paid off when a parcel of land became available – 1.45 acres near the RR tracks off Old Dock Road. Acquisition of this attractive piece of property required prompt action.  Red quickly assembled a group of fellow HHTC members willing to put up the necessary money to purchase the land. In order to preserve the non-profit status of HHTC, it was suggested that a Massachusetts Business Trust be formed to own and manage this and other properties which might later be acquired.  This group met on August 9, 1969, signed the necessary Trust Instruments and agreed on a plan of action. Nashawena Associates was now a reality! By October 1969, ten more beneficial shareholders had joined Nashawena, providing the funds needed to complete the project. Less than a year later, in the summer of 1970, our two clay courts were in operation.  By 1975, additional shares were sold enabling the Trust to acquire adjacent land sufficient to build our two hard courts.

Harbor Head celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1998.  Some of you will remember and some of you were not yet born when the first balls were thrown in the air on the “beach court”.  Today’s impressive tennis club operation is a testimony to the wisdom of our founders as well as to the countless hours of planning, organizing, meeting, supervising and laboring on the part of many, many Harbor Head women and men.  Thank you!

In 2011-2012, the merger between Harbor Head Tennis club and Nashawena Associates was completed. The stockholders of both entities determined that a single entity, Harbor Head Tennis Club would have a better legal, organizational and financial footing going forward. The merger required the discipline, determination and focus of stockholders and others. The merger positions the club for a bright future.